Debbie Hepplewhite's SyntheticPhonics.com Forum Index Debbie Hepplewhite's SyntheticPhonics.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Debbie's resources

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Debbie Hepplewhite's SyntheticPhonics.com Forum Index -> Soap Box.....
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Debbie's resources Reply with quote

This is soapbox material because what I see on this site makes me so angry on behalf of the kids who have missed out!

I have just had a quick peek at Debbie's resources; opened the first one on the list. I work with Y7s, Y8s and Y9s who wouldn't be able to read about granny's apple pies!

It's a lovely site Debbie, good luck with it.

maizie
Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Maizie - then you'll be doubly upset when you hear that I used them with my Year 1s in their first term with me when I taught a Y1/2 class for four years.

The least strong reading group would each have their copy infront of them and an adult would encourage them to identify the digraphs they knew. It took no time at all to get the idea that they could underline or circle the digraphs/trigraphs and then bash away at blending all-through-the-word. Once THEY had worked out what the text said, they would do their drawings.

Then, they would take it home to show off and read it again.

That set of stories would last us that one term.

I also used to introduce joined cursive writing in that first term. And yes, they had handwriting books with lines and would take GREAT PRIDE in doing their practice. By the end of that first term, they could write completely in joined script. The most unlikely boys would rush in in the mornings and get their books out. Such concentration and enjoyment. This is why I get very worried by the duress put on teachers about what constitutes 'formal' teaching or not. You know I posted a thread a while back on the TES early years staffroom forum about child-initiated v formal v direct instruction (or something like that). It was encouraging to see a few people agreeing that we are in danger of falsely holding children back if we are not careful - never mind pushing them along too fast!

So, most children could write at least half a page of A4 by the end of Year 1, term 1, but many of them could write two sides of A4 for their stories. These stories would be retelling stories. They might be new stories to them and not just traditional well-known stories.

I am still considering, however, whether I did enough dictation with the children because of one or two children who were so enabled to write independently at length with their phonics background, but who were too easily pleased with any spelling version and the odd illegal concoction.

That is why I was interested in Tom Burkard's recent article in RRF newsletter 53 about a premature desire for children to write 'independently'. Children who are weak spellers spend too much time reinforcing their own weak spelling.

It is tragic to think that secondary children could not access those simple pieces of text. So unnecessary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Debbie Hepplewhite's SyntheticPhonics.com Forum Index -> Soap Box..... All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: